1.The food program helps to ensure children receive nutritional meals in addition to organized childcare.
2. Parents will have the opportunity to see what meals are being served as part of their child’s day care routine.
3. The childcare facility will receive a monthly reimbursement to assist with the operation of serving nutritious meals.
Who Can Participate?
We Care, Inc. uses the funds to assist eligible Childcare Centers, Licensed Childcare Homes, and Registered Family Homes with the cost of meals and supplements served to children 12 years of age and younger. People who meet the State’s definition of mentally or physically handicapped can also participate in the program regardless of age, if they are enrolled in a childcare facility where the majority of those children are 18 years of age or younger.
A Child Care Home or Non-Profit Center is not required to meet enrollment or licensed capacity to qualify for the program.
A For-Profit Child Care Center may participate if at least 25% of the children in care based on enrollment or licensed capacity, whichever is lowere meet the household income eligibility guidelines.
To be eligible for the CACFP as a childcare facility, you must start a child-care business. For more information on 'How to Start a Child Care Business either in your home or at a center away from your home visit http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Care/About_Child_Care_Licensing/start.asp
Upon starting your child care facility in the CACFP, your program will be able to receive reimbursement for:
- Persons age 12 and under;
- Persons age 15 and under who are children of migrant workers;
- Persons age 18 and under who attend At-Risk afterschool care center; or
- Persons have disabilities as determined by the date.